Monday 2 January 2012

How I got my New Year's resolution...

First day of 2012 and I nearly lost my eye. Yes folks, I did again. This time I managed to hurt my eyes by allowing the boiling hot tea to jump into them. I kid you not! I had just taken out my mug from the microwave and noticed that tea had gone bad due to rotten milk, when the spongy mass of what was once milk burst and threw hot sprints of liquid inside my eye. As I got my first aid and lied to down to rest my eyes, strange streams of thought started processing in my brain.
With a prevailing fear that I had permanently damaged my eyes, I started thinking about things that would happen if I were to go blind (God Forbid!). Not only would it affect the way I manage daily things in my life but also what career would I possibly have without being dependent on any one else for my care. How would I read the remaining papers and finish my current chapter?How would I get through using the internet from my normal computer since I wouldn’t have money to get a special laptop? How would I prepare for my lectures without my lappy, and also how would I teach? There were other extremely important questions around the lines of   “Aik to nerd, upper se andhi... bibi tum se shadi kon kerega???” These, I would rather not speak of….
And suddenly I realized how thankless I usually am in my daily life. I have always taken my eyes for granted, using them all the time and hardly ever thanking ALLAH for them. A life without them would be completely different. Albeit, I would develop other senses  that would help me cope, nonetheless, if given a choice I would not want that kind of life. Hence, I have decided not to whine about little things that I normally whine about. Today the weather is warmer than it was yesterday, yet this heat is bearable, because I have a lot of things to be grateful for. And even if I do end up losing one of these things, I will still have a lot of other things to be happy and obliged about. May ALLAH bless us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment